Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Rubio's


Rubio's
Various Location in the Western US

By the time Friday rolls around, the last place I want to eat lunch is in my office. 

Tucked into a nearby shopping center is Rubio's; and while this website is usually reserved for family-owned dining destinations, there's just something special about this fast-casual option that deserves mentioning.  Stomach growling, I kidnapped an unbeknownst coworker for an early lunch and we headed out. 
 
In the middle of a business park we found our little oasis, and as I walked up to the entrance I dreamed of fish tacos and anything else that grabbed my attention.  Today, that something extra was a fresh-baked churro.  We were promptly greeted with smiles from both cashiers and cooks.  I quickly placed my order with a cheery young girl before finding a cozy table away from the inevitable lunch rush crowds.  Already salivating, my dining partner and I ambled over to the condiment bar and found a myriad of salsas, vegetables, and my favorite cilantro-onion mix.  I then seated myself away from the bustling front door, kicking back in my seat and enjoying painted murals depicting Southern California beach life.  A few folks at other tables seemed to have the same idea. 

I made small talk with my lunch buddy, but quickly became preoccupied when my name was called.  At that point, my friend was officially ignored, and I found myself staring at some of the most enormous fish tacos I've ever laid eyes on.  Are they always this size?  Did the cooks accurately interpret how hungry I was from a single glance?  I pondered these questions as I took my first crunchy bite of an Original Fish Taco.

I've eaten many variations of fish tacos in my life, from halibut to shark to tilapia and on both flour and corn tortillas.  Quite frankly, Rubio's has some of the best: theirs are on single thick and sturdy corn tortillas, eliminating the need to double up on tortillas like competing establishments with substandard ingredients. The batter is substantially thick and fried to a golden crisp, yet all the while yielding moist, tender fish beneath.  Add a smattering of crunchy shredded cabbage, a light drizzle of secret sauce and a hint of juicy pico de gallo and that's all you need on a Friday afternoon!  Well, that and a side of rice with plenty of onions and cilantro mixed in.  And maybe a warm churro covered in cinnamon sugar.

My coworker washed down his Regal Springs Tilapia Tacos with a cerveza and for an instant we thought about playing hooky for the rest of the day to head to the beach.  Then we remembered we were sitting in the middle of a shopping center.  Well played, Rubio's.  Well played.

No comments: