Monday, March 18, 2013

Sweetie Pies


Innocent facade.  Sweet, sweet evil inside!



Sweetie Pies
520 Main Street
Napa, CA
Sweetie Pies on Urbanspoon

I'm not sure what it is about travelling that makes me want to devour everything in sight, but that's precisely how I felt during a quick afternoon trip to Napa last Saturday.

I have a sweet tooth.  Not one that causes me to crave a mint after dinner, but rather one that makes me want to shovel fistfuls of sugary anything into my mouth even after eating a four-course meal.  On this particular afternoon, I had just begun my attempt at digesting chowder and half (I swear!) a tri-tip sandwich as I walked by Sweetie Pies.

This adorable little bake shop sells pies - and lots of them - in both standard and individual sizes.  I had my eye on an individual Strawberry Rhubarb, glistening with juices from beneath its clear to-go packaging, until I spied cream-filled cake rolls, chocolate-dipped cupcakes and jars full of moist, chewy cookies.

I chose a towering Raspberry Coconut bar cookie that featured a thick, luscious layer of tart jam sandwiched between coconut streusel and the heftiest graham cracker crust I've ever seen.  I somehow made my way through a small crowd snaking around the pastry cases only to find there were more treats to choose from!  My willpower went into high gear to avoid hoarding creamy whoopie pies.

By a sheer miracle, that Raspberry Coconut bar arrived home completely intact.  The first bite was heavenly.  The crunchy brown top layer of coconut gave way to a tender macaroon-like texture, and the raspberry jam provided enough moisture for that crackery crust.  It was a brick of sugary goodness, one I'll definitely make a trip back for.  I'll add a half-dozen whoopie pies to that order, too.