Sunday, March 3, 2013

Nelson's Candies

Confectionery gold, right here in Calaveras County!










Nelson's Candies
380 Main Street
Murphys, CA

If every town had a candy shop like Nelson's, there would be no war in the world.

Okay, okay, maybe that's a stretch.  But once I stepped into this adorable store, all of my troubles seemed to disappear.  Greeted by not one, but two friendly ladies, I was delighted when my eyeballs were assaulted by an elaborate selection of classic and unique treats.

   Something interesting immediately caught my attention: Vanilla Cream Pinenut Rolls.  I thought to myself, "Um, really?  Don't those things belong in pesto and El Torito salads?"  I couldn't pass up a giant ball of sugar coated with pine nuts; two seconds in, I was thankful I hadn't passed them over.  The mild nut provided a subtle crunch that balanced the softest, most tender homemade nougat I'd sampled to date.

A variety of chocolate and nutty treats did not disappoint, either, and I walked out with a small bag of chocolate-covered Brazil nuts and macadamias as well as coconut brittle I mistakenly assumed would last for at least a few days.  Oops!