Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Soda Jerks

This guy's a jerk!


Soda Jerks
200 Santa Monica Pier
Santa Monica, CA

As much as I appreciate having two (!) self-serve yogurt joints within a half mile of my home, sometimes I long for the ability to plop my butt on a stool and command the jerk behind the counter to whip me up something delicious.

I lived this dream after stumbling upon Soda Jerks at the Santa Monica Pier.  I declared, "I'll take a large Chocolate Egg Cream, my good man!"  By the way, this demand was made towards my boyfriend, who rolled his eyes as he got in line to pay.

It was everything I had hoped for - simple, yet rich and frothy with a nod to nostalgia. Other patrons were as varied as their orders: kids with chocolate malts, their parents with ice cream cones, and the older set with phosphates and freezes.

A 6 oz. glass of soda water still sells for two cents.  I challenge you to find any other LA-area menu item for that price.