Friday, January 27, 2012

Sal's Tacos

!Aye carumba!

Sal's Tacos
400 C Street
West Sacramento, CA
Sal's Tacos on Urbanspoon

It's absolutely amazing that I'd never heard of this place until a coworker brought me here!  It's got everything you need in a Mexican joint: mosaics from floor to ceiling, Spanish music thumping at you from every direction and a fully loaded "Sal's-a Bar".

Get it?  Sal's-a?

Oh yeah, one more thing: gargantuan proportions!

Before ordering, the salsa bar had my full attention.  I had already concocted the perfect crema fresca/salsa/onion/cilantro combination in my mind; my actual meal was an afterthought.  I quickly ordered a Carnitas Burrito (no frijoles), then began piling chips into small wooden bowls.

Moments later, it arrived.

My jaw literally dropped.  To the point where it hurt my jaw.

Looking back, I wish I'd had a measuring tape handy, because the photos I took barely did it justice.  For one thing, this burrito was served on a dinner PLATTER!  A platter, for Christ's sake!  Furthermore, the burrito took up most of said platter.

Inside, crispy carnitas goodness.  I looked for it, but couldn't find the pools of grease I've come to expect from a beanless burrito. Could it be?  Finally?  Burrito perfection?  Shredded lettuce was a unique addition, and helped cut down on the overall richness that lied beneath globs of smooth guacamole and sweet crema.

45 seconds in, I told myself to take two more bites, then take the rest home.

Eight minutes in, 40% was devoured and lethargy kicked in.  Unfortunately, it's not ladylike to lie in the  fetal position in restaurant booths.  On the other hand, it's probably not ladylike to eat 40% of a burrito the size of a toddler, either.

Have I mentioned prices?  At the time of this review, I had eaten 40% for lunch yesterday and 30% for today's lunch.  I think you know what's on the menu for tomorrow.  For you math wizards, that's three meals.  The cost?  Seven bucks and change.

Sal's is an outstanding value and certainly a hidden gem in West Sacramento.  Come for the salsa bar, stay for burritos the size of your forearm.