Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Grange Restaurant & Bar



Parsnippy!

Grange Restaurant & Bar
926 J Street
Sacramento
Grange Restauarant on Urbanspoon

I choose Grange when I'm in the mood for unique and ever-changing menu options, a semi-upscale atmosphere, and a complimentary carb-laden basket of goodies that beg to be slathered with the provided flavored butter-du-jour.

On this particular day, it seemed everything on the menu was new to me.  I started with the Parsnip Soup with Crispy Onions and Smoked Bacon.  Did I know what a parsnip was?  Nope.  I actually had to Google it to learn it's related to the carrot.  Fair enough.  I chose appetizers for my main course, the Fritto Misto as well as Anson Mill Grit Fritters, then started poking around the bread basket.  Today's offering included Bacon Cheese Biscuits...SCORE.

Since this was my first experience with parsnips, I didn't know what to expect; but I certainly didn't expect such a creamy, mild soup with so much natural, organic flavor that the onions and bacon were an afterthought.  I wasn't particularly famished, but do remember being disappointed when that last spoonful was gone.   Who would have thought a root vegetable would make me so sad?

Luckily my thoughts turned to the fritters which arrived shortly thereafter on a hot cast-iron skillet, small nuggets all browned and crisp from their panko-like breading.  The crunchy exterior gave way to a smooth interior, which was a nice contrast when dipped into the barbecue sauce and green onions.  Deep-fried paradise!

Not wanting to offend the chef, I decided to finish off the bread basket.  I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment