Friday, March 30, 2012

Trader Vic's


Liver, you're about to do WORK!


Trader Vic's
9 Anchor Drive
Emeryville, CA
Trader Vic's on Urbanspoon

At first, I balked at the nearly-$10 cocktail, legend or not.

Four sips in, the knock-me-on-my-ass concoction that is the Original Mai Tai seemed (a) like a sheer bargain and (b) like a potential nightmare for my lightweight innards unless I got to some food, STAT.  I perused a lengthy menu of Polynesian treats, trying to ignore a particular tiki mask on a distant wall which reminded me of the Hawaiian vacation episodes of The Brady Bunch.

Crispy Duck Tacos did the trick, oozing with plum sauce inside fried won ton shells which also held julienned vegetables I was too ravenous to identify before devouring them.  The Mahi Mahi Sliders' buns provided some much-needed absorbent carbs, and slaw dripped sloppily from my jowls.

So into this meal was I that I hadn't noticed several elderly couples had arrived, with matching shirts to boot.  Is this what my future holds?  Aloha, indeed.