Monday, March 19, 2012

Machado Orchards


I'll take seven, please!

Machado Orchards
100 Apple Lane
Auburn, CA

There's a long-standing debate between fans of Machado's and Ikeda's (across the freeway) because they both serve up some pretty phenomenal pies.

If you ask me, they both have their merits...but Machado's pie and fruit products take the cake (!), hands down, in the dessert battle.

During my visit, no less than half a dozen ladies scurried about the kitchen, fitting pie tins with dough, piling fruit sky-high into those tins, then crimping the edges of the top layer of dough to seal in the goodness. Along the wall, rows upon rows of pies were cooling; one of the managers kindly opened the sliding window so I could get a better photo.

Unfortunately, Machado was one of my first stops of the day, so it was hours before I could sample my first bite of the whole apple pie I had taken home.  It was worth the wait; tender, flaky crust, firm apples with the right combination of tartness and sweetness, and a subtle blend of spices that didn't overpower the fruit.  Perfection.

Get your burger at Ikeda's, then head over the freeway for dessert.  Or do dessert first.  Who am I to judge?