Monday, September 16, 2013

Manny's California Cafe


I've been coming here for over three decades!

Manny's California Cafe
1612 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, CA
Manny's California Fresh Cafe on Urbanspoon

How much do I love Manny’s?  Well, I named my Chihuahua after the place.  Does that give you a good idea?

Raised by single-income parents who knew how to perform miracles in the kitchen, I always looked forward to Fridays, which usually meant dinner out.  And when my dad said, “Let’s go to Manny’s!” it incited a Pavlovian reaction in me that still occurs today.

Step into Manny’s during typical lunch or dinner hours and there will be a line.  Get over it, because it’s worth it.  If you’re lucky enough to snag a booth, you’ll witness a steady stream of diners wearing everything from pajama pants to three-piece suits, clamoring for burgers, fancy sandwiches (i.e. sandwiches with sprouts), and the BEST fried chicken in town.

After three decades I’ve established a short list of items I keep in heavy rotation.  Their Fried Chicken is crispy, juicy, tender and not overloaded with a ton of unnecessary spices.  The Grilled Cheese is oozy, epic, and made with the best honey wheat berry bread on earth.  The best Tuna Sandwich I’ve ever had is also here, and I’ve spent the better part of my life trying to recreate it in my own kitchen, only to fail each and every time.  Finally, their CafĂ© Burger on its chewy roll with melting, stringy Swiss cheese is so amazing that I forgive them for trying to fit a round patty into a rectangular bun.

I hope Manny’s outlives me.  After such Stockton closures as the Bagel Kitchen, Prime Rib Inn, and Bow Bow’s, I can’t take much more heartbreak.

No comments:

Post a Comment