Tuesday, July 30, 2013

El Rinconcito Del Mar


Why yes, this IS heaven.

El Rinconcito Del Mar
2908 E. 1st Street
Los Angeles, CA

I took a huge leap of faith when I chose to redeem my Restaurant.com gift card for a voucher to use here.  I mean, LA is riddled with Mexican restaurants, good and bad, large and small.  But half a grilled lobster alongside carne asada and a couple side dishes sounded pretty good to me.

White guy in tote (ha), I certainly felt like a fish out of water when I walked in.  However, we were welcomed as if we were one of the many regulars there that night.  In fact, everyone looked like a regular…and that’s always a good thing.  The place was packed, the waitresses were working hard, and the karaoke hostess was almost finished setting up.  Sunburned and starving, we sat back and enjoyed our cocktails amid the buzz of Spanish being spoken all around us.

Service wasn’t exactly speedy on this busy Friday night, so it was nice to not be in a rush for a change.  Complimentary chips kept our hunger at bay while we salivated over others’ dinner platters.

And then came the lobster.

I wanted to jump for joy when I saw my platter, overflowing with bubbly, grilled lobster, charred carne asada, a huge, steaming baked potato with butter and crema, rice pilaf, and a generous dipping bowl of garlic-infused butter.  Having no shame, I tore into it, likely flinging butter and lobster bits every which way without realizing it.  I guess I made quite the spectacle of myself, because patrons seated around us started to order the same entrĂ©e…hmmm…

In the middle of our dinner, karaoke started.   Spanish karaoke, at that.  What a treat!  The big surprise of the night was a young Asian kid who brought the house down with a Spanish ballad.  It was better than anything I’d seen on the Latin Grammys.  Take that, Marc Antony.

No comments:

Post a Comment