Monday, April 8, 2013

Donut Factory

Next time I'm not sharing.


Donut Factory
23 Fair Lane
Placerville, CA

A co-worker told me about the cabeza-sized cinnamon rolls here.

When my boyfriend and I woke up one Saturday at 5:15am to get ready for a big 7:00am yard sale, only to find I was a week early, we naturally decided to take a road trip for breakfast (after my boyfriend shook his head in disappointment, of course).


So there we were, after only four hours of sleep, driving 45 minutes to a non-descript donut shop
in the middle of Placerville.

We walked in and immediately spotted the oversized treats.  I told the lady behind the counter that we drove all the way from Elk Grove for these cinnamon rolls because of a co-worker's suggestion, and she mumbled something in a mysterious Asian (?) language to her husband (?) and he exclaimed, "Really?" as if we were crazy.

Moments later, we tore into the embarrassingly large monstrosity, exposing gooey layers of warm pastry, butter, cinnamon and cream cheese frosting.  You can choose between cream cheese frosting and sugar icing, but is that really a choice?  Cream cheese wins every time. My half was washed down with a delicious White Mocha, because clearly there wasn't enough sugar already involved.

I'm never going to pass through Placerville again without snagging one of these.  Now, that would be crazy.