Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lockeford Meat & Sausage

Lockeford has a true wiener on its hands!


Lockeford Meat & Sausage
19775 N. Cotton Street
Lockeford, CA

With the exception of a handful of female college classmates I'd rather forget about, few can call themselves "sausage masters".

Lockeford Meat & Sausage is everything it should be: a purveyor of reasonably-priced high-quality meats displayed in a pristine glass case with product clearly marked to facilitate ease of browsing, ordering and payment.  Employees are helpful, willing to answer questions and happily offer cooking suggestions.

That being said, the meat, of course, is the star here.  Bacon, tri-tip and a variety of jerkies are available, but it'd be sheer blasphemy not to try the sausage.  From the moment I sank my teeth into my first bite of a Hawaiian Luau, my mind raced: Why haven't I tried this sooner?  Why is Lockeford so far from Elk Grove?  Where did these voices come from?


The casing provided a nice snap.  What followed was a taste explosion of sweet and savory, highlighted by the caramelization of what I assumed was pineapple juice combined with brown sugar.  Or, liquid heaven.

Either way, I dream about it quite often; and girls who attend 12 years of Catholic school are taught not to worship meat, if you catch my drift.