Sunday, October 7, 2012

Shaw's Steakhouse & Tavern

Three!  Three!  Three meals in one!

Shaw's Steakhouse & Tavern
714 S. Broadway
Santa Maria, CA

When in Santa Maria, eat Santa Maria BBQ.  Duh...

Shaw's was highly praised all over the web, so I gave it a try.

I dig dimly-lit steakhouses, so this certainly fit the bill.  As I followed the server to the table, I passed a large window allowing diners to watch the inner workings of the kitchen; more specifically, a gargantuan grill used to prepare their delectable BBQ meats.

After a nearly six-hour road trip, I was dying for a bite.  With a weekend of food ahead of me, I wanted something simple - maybe a small salad with some BBQ and healthy veggies on the side.

Fail.  Epic fail.

My server asked if I preferred salad or Beer Bacon Cheese Soup.  Um, were there really two answers to that question?  That was followed up with a listing of the daily specials, from which I chose the Tri-Tip & Linguica Combo.  My salivary glands started working overtime.

A cup of cheesy, porky goodness arrived, topped with more grated cheddar.  Freshly ground pepper added a kick to the rich, earthy broth, and after the bowl was licked clean I had no idea how I'd have room for my entree.

And what an entree it was!

A platter large enough to feed 2-3 people was placed in front of a blushing me.  It looked like a freaking masterpiece - and tasted like it, too.  The spicy linguica and tender tri-tip were grilled to perfection and accompanied by a dipping sauce that baffles me to this day.  It was rich, sweet...and those are the only adjectives I can use because I've no clue what other ingredients were involved.  All of this was served with a fully-loaded baked potato as well as garlic bread.

I barely made a dent in the platter, and thanked my lucky stars my hotel room had a kitchenette.  I ate the leftovers for two days straight.  Three fantastic meals for twenty bucks?  Steal.