Sunday, October 28, 2012

Monsieur Marcel

Good luck topping this!


Monsieur Marcel
6333 W. 3rd Street
Los Angeles, CA

A small part of me wishes I never found this place.  Why?  On one hand, they have THE BEST soup I've ever tasted.  On the other hand, it's 372 miles from my front door.  Cue the violins.

A myriad of dining options awaits you at the famous Farmers Market at 3rd and Fairfax.  In fact, I circled the market twice before choosing Monsieur Marcel.  Small plates of cheese and cured meats seemed a fitting snack since my evening plans involved copious amounts of Mexican seafood.  Of course, the intention to enjoy a light snack all went to hell when I saw French Onion Soup on the menu.

For me, this particular soup begs to be ordered and judged against every other version I've sampled.  Prior to this visit, my all-time favorite came from La Bonne Soup Cafe in Sacramento; however, when the first spoonful reached my lips, I wanted to weep a tear for La Bonne.  Theirs had been outdone.

A rich, complex broth chock full of sweet onion slices was concealed by a single floating crouton underneath a blanket of oozing cheese, the outside of which had bits charred ever so slightly to enhance its salty, nutty flavor.  Sheer heaven.  I chose not to taint my palate with any sort of flavored beverage or even the bread loaf I had been attacking prior to the arrival of this delicious crock of nirvana.

Hours later, I annihilated a grilled lobster and its accoutrements.  But, I will always remember the most perfect bowl of soup, and will rarely visit L.A. without a visit to Monsieur Marcel.  Believe it.