Sunday, August 12, 2012

Silver's at the Wharf

Check out my mussels!

Silver's at the Wharf
32260 N. Harbor Drive
Fort Bragg, CA

It took a bit of research to find a "nicer" restaurant open past 4pm on a Saturday night in this sleepy town, but we found one.  On the water? Bonus. Too bad it was too dark to enjoy the view, though.

Silver's was one of the only restaurants in the area that I noticed had tablecloths.  I thought to myself, "Great!  I'll fit right in with this cocktail dress!" Apparently, the other diners thought, "Great! I'll fit right in with these jeans!"  I suppose they already knew that the air conditioning runs on full blast, nighttime or not.

Luckily, our server's cheerful demeanor warmed me up, as did the fresh French bread and appropriately-softened butter.  I scanned the menu, hoping to fulfill my craving of seafood, and chose the Mussel Steamers; they sounded light, somewhat healthy, and a good pick after all of the candy and other crap I had devoured earlier in the day.

The mussels arrived.  I SWEAR I do not purposely order the largest physical dish on the menu when I go out to eat.  It just happens.

A substantial bowl was placed in front of me, piled high with steaming (of course) mussels swimming in a luscious, buttery wine sauce. This mountain of shellfish carefully concealed a rather large supply of chopped garlic, adding a kick to each and every bite of these phenomenal bivalves.  I went to work, systematically transferring mussels to mouth and empty shells to extra bowl.  When finished, I sopped up the wine sauce with bread.

So much for a light meal...there's always tomorrow.