Sunday, August 5, 2012

Bob's Big Boy

Too many of these might turn me into
a Big Girl.



Bob's Big Boy
4211 West Riverside Drive
Burbank, CA

Ignored was the fact that I had just inhaled a rather substantial grilled lobster Mexican feast. I was on vacation, dammit.  I wanted a picture with that Big Boy statue, dammit. And no dinner while on vacation is complete without dessert.

Bob's Big Boy is like stepping onto the set of Happy Days (or so I assume...that show was too squeaky-clean for me).  This particular Friday night found me freezing my rear end off in a strapless sundress, quickly making my way through the weekly classic car show so I could accumulate 1,200 more calories for the day.  A buddy and I snagged a couple of seats at the counter instead of waiting for a table like the other chumps in line. I was on a mission, after all.

I think I glanced at the menu for .0001 seconds before demanding the Decadent Hot Fudge Cake.  I caught a few annoyed looks from folks still in line who wished they'd made our move to the empty seats.  I sent some looks back for holding the door open the entire time they were in line, sending a chilly breeze throughout the counter area.  Brrr, for crying out loud!

A towering mass of moist chocolate cake, piping hot fudge and sweet whipped cream soon arrived, and I felt eyes of envy descend upon me.  A young man seated next to me stole a glance at my plate, likely wishing he'd saved room for dessert.

The first forkful of thick, warm hot fudge against the tender crumb of chocolate cake was enough to send me swooning.  This is what a diner experience is all about.  Scan for available counter seating at all times, people, and you will be rewarded handsomely.