Sunday, April 15, 2012

Egghead's Restaurant

There's no place like...THIS place!


Egghead's Restaurant
326 N. Main Street
Fort Bragg, CA
Egghead's Restaurant on Urbanspoon

I'm one of "those people" who is thoroughly creeped out by The Wizard of Oz, largely due to those crazy Pink Floyd rumors and disturbingly bad special effects.

But, when I heard a Fort Bragg restaurant served up some wicked awesome breakfast fare, I was willing to patronize an Oz-themed establishment.  Oh, the sacrifices I make for you people.

The decor was more cute than obtrusive; more private collector than in-your-face Planet Hollywood.  That's a good thing.  One wall was painted with silhouettes of the Oz cast, and on the floor was a "yellow brick road".  Other Oz memorabilia peppered the walls and tables, but it didn't make me want to kick the Tin Man in his...tin can, so to speak.

Torn between my duty to order a famed Benedict and the desire to not blow up like a balloon on the first day of vacation, I chose the Dorothy's Delight.  English muffins were topped with poached eggs, melted cheddar, salsa and sour cream and were accompanied by home fried red potatoes.  It was more than someone who'd been dieting for the last five days could handle, but well worth it as the eggs passed the OSBPEYT (Official Stacy Barawed Poached Egg Yolk Test), all runny and mingling with the spicy salsa and cool sour cream.  I'm salivating just thinking about it.

A side of Grilled Cinnamon Raisin Bread was also ordered, and in my mind I pictured a small order of cinnamon French toast.  Wrong. So very wrong!  What arrived was a nearly five-inch high hunk of warm, chewy bread, slathered and soaked with maple syrup and topped with a generous scoop of whipped butter.  Dessert at 9am, anyone?

Good thing Fort Bragg is a walking community!