Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Nena's Mexican Restaurant


One day, I may learn about portion control.


Nena's Mexican Restaurant
445 W. Weber Avenue, Suite 120
Stockton, CA

Eating one of Nena’s warm, soft, chewy, pillowy flour tortillas right off the press makes you feel like snuggling underneath a blanket…a blanket made of Nena’s warm, soft, chewy, pillowy flour tortillas.

Arguably the best Mexican restaurant in Stockton, Nena’s holds the secret to nearly three decades of success: classic recipes with bold flavors, relaxed atmosphere, congenial staff, and, with the recent move to the downtown waterfront, sweeping views of the Delta.  On weekends, crowds spill out onto patio seating and servers adjust umbrella shading or space heating to suit your needs.

What’s good here?  Everything’s good here.  Most recently, I was extremely pleased with my Taco Vampiro, chock full of steak, chorizo, cheese, onions and cilantro wrapped in a corn tortilla that had been dipped in red enchilada sauce and pressed into finely chopped red chilies.  The fiery flames were quelled by the crema and Cotija cheese topping my crispy Pork Chimichanga.

On morning occasions, it’s all about the Chilaquiles.  Sadly, I’ll usually put away half a basket of chips and salsa before my entrée arrives; so when my platter of (more) tortilla chips sautéed in red sauce and mingling with eggs and cheese appears, I am silently kicking myself.  After further carb-loading with another fresh tortilla, I may as well call it a day.

Tip well and, if you’re a regular, accept a kiss on the cheek from Nena herself.  She’s the one dressed to the nines with amazing shoes…every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment