Monday, September 24, 2012

Richmaid Restaurant

Be the first to order Liver & Onions
 a la Mode!  I dare you.



Richmaid Restaurant
100 S. Cherokee Lane
Lodi, CA

Richmaid is a long-standing fixture in Lodi.  Though the building's exterior may shows signs of wear, the food being served inside is the reason this place is still around.

I came here for a second (!) breakfast on a Sunday morning to "kill time" before a poker tournament at the card room down the street.  Church-goers made up most of the crowd, peppered with families with small kids and, of course, a couple degenerate gamblers at the counter (of which I was one).

I needed something quick and delicious, and Biscuits and Gravy sounded like a nice little snack.  In the meantime, I watched as order after order was cranked out of the kitchen, bells being rung for pickup by the servers.  Omelets, wet burritos and chicken salads seemed to be all the rage this particular morning.

Moments later, my plate arrived with steam rising from the rich and buttery gravy atop two very large, fluffy biscuits.  The biscuits were hearty, holding up to all the gravy and generous handful of sausage pieces sprinkled on top.  Some additional black pepper brought it close to perfection, and that plate was killed in a matter of minutes.

This may be my new go-to destination these weekly poker tournaments.  I'll probably pass on the Liver and Onions, but a Banana Split sure does sounds good right about now...